In a recent blog post my favourite blogger Seth Godin wrote:
“For the creator who seeks to make something new, something better, something important, everywhere you look is something unsatisfying.
The dissatisfaction is fuel. Knowing you can improve it, realizing that you can and will make things better—the side effect is that today isn’t what it could be.”
It struck me that this should be the creed for all law enforcement trainers.
You need to be dissatisfied with:
- The Status Quo
- People stating, “Well that is just the way we do things here.”
- The mantra, “That is the way we have always done it.”
- The mindset you need to stress out recruits in training to “see if they have what it takes.”
- Doing what is easiest for the trainer, not what is best for the learner.
- The mindset, “It was good enough for me when I went through training, so it is good enough for them.”
- The emphasis on teaching recruits to do what they are told instead of teaching them to make decisions.
- Crappy and out dated PowerPoint presentations.
- The constant bashing of “the New Generation.”
This is about being dissatisfied, not about being disgruntled, cynical and bitter.
This is about being driven:
- By the dissatisfaction of knowing there is a better way.
- To make something new, something better something important.
- To find a better way to teach the material, a better way to engage the learners, a better way to enhance the competence and confidence of the participants in your training.
When you are driven by dissatisfaction you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of knowing you are doing your best to serve the heroic men and women you have the privilege and honour of training.
Winning Mind Training – Dedicated to serving law enforcement trainers to help them better serve the heroic men and women of law enforcement.
Created for those who are driven by dissatisfaction. – The Excellence in Training Academy – Where trainers come to grow. Join the Community of trainers committed to the pursuit of excellence in and through training. Use the code eitblog to get the first month free.
Interested in hosting an Excellence in Training Presentation, Seminar or Course? Contact to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can work together to determine what will best suit your needs.