The term ignorant is defined as:
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
As trainers it is our job to enlighten the ignorant through training and sharing of knowledge about the realities of:
- The dynamics of violent encounters.
- The physiological effects of stress.
- The effects of stress on memory.
- Perceptual distortions.
- Time and distance
- Action versus reaction.
- Totality of circumstances.
- Limitations of video footage of incidents.
- Human decision making processes.
- Excited delirium and In Custody Death.
- Functional fitness versus lifestyle fitness.
- Training to win gunfights versus training to qualification.
Those we need to educate include:
- Patrol officers.
- Patrol supervisors.
- Investigators (homicide and internal affairs).
- The public.
Please staff the course and continue the fight to educate all these groups and any others I may have missed. Please be creative in finding ways to enlighten others through training and education.
Important Information: The latest book from Warrior Spirit Books If I Knew Then: Life Lessons From Cops on the Street is finally in print. This book is a collection of 37 essays from over 30 law enforcement professionals around North America who sought to answer the question: What is one thing you know now that you wish you had known at the start of your career? This book contains powerful insights and wisdom gained through over a half a century of law enforcement experience.
If I Knew Then: Life Lessons From Cops on the Street is a must read for every law enforcement professional regardless of your time on the job and should be required reading for every law enforcement recruit and Field Training Officer.
The book will be available starting today at www.warriorspiritbooks.com. I will also have copies available for sale during my April 16 Harnessing the Winning Mind and Warrior Spirit Seminar in Lombard, IL and at the ILEETA Conference in Wheeling, IL April 19 to 24.