Date(s) - Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021 - Thursday, Nov 18, 2021
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Buffalo Grove Police Department
Excellence in Training: Simple, Proven Instructional Strategies to Enhance Real World Performance
One of the greatest challenges for today’s law enforcement trainers is creating a training environment that inspires excellence and is most conducive to learning, retention and recall of material. Excellence in Training is a comprehensive, innovative instructor development course designed to address these issues.
The focus of Excellence in Training is enhancing the performance of law enforcement officers by delivering training in a manner that enhances the competence and confidence of the participants. In order to accomplish this, training must be meaningful, challenging, rewarding, and evidence based. Excellence in Training provides trainers with simple, proven strategies for accomplishing this mission.
The principles and concepts taught in this program can be used with officers at any level of skill and service from recruits to veteran tactical operators.
This course is not about what to teach, rather it is about how to apply principles and concepts of effective teaching into your programs to enhance the competence and confidence of the people you train. The program covers the following areas:
- The Power of Questions
- The Mind: Roles, Responsibilities and Programming
- Infinite Game Thinking in Training
- Understanding Human Error It’s Application to Training
- The Power of Words
- Performance Enhancement Imagery
- Harnessing the Inner Dialogue
- Conducting effective Debriefing
- Using Videos to Enhance Decision Making
- Applying the Concepts of Effortful Retrieval, Interleaving, Spaced Practice and Desirable Difficulties Into Training
What People Are Saying about Excellence in Training:
- “In 30 years as a police officer and trainer in defensive tactics this course has done more to positively influence those areas than any other course I have taken and it has done so in my personal life also.”
- “Exceptional training. Exceptional instructor. Deals with an area almost completely neglected or misunderstood in other training programs.”
- “Unique approaches to conducting training that are both practical and easily implemented. The ideas were some of the best I have heard. “
- “The most important course for law enforcement today, especially in the area of instructor development.”
- As a police officer, trainer, martial artist and student of human performance, this course was one of the most worthwhile and rewarding courses I have ever attended.”
- “Never before, have I taken training, which I have used to this extent. I took Excellence in Training as I was in the midst of developing a training program for new recruits. After listening to Brian, I revamped my entire program.“
- “Excellence in Training was a total eye opener. I have used the knowledge and techniques not only as a training coordinator, but also as an officer and even on my days off.”
- “This Course should be mandatory for every law enforcement trainer. “
- “Any agency that does not explore this training and its applications is, in my opinion, not moving forward and not making the most of their training.”
- “I highly recommend this class to agencies committed to providing quality training while improving performance of their law enforcement personnel.“
About the Facilitator – Brian Willis:
Brian Willis is recognized throughout North America as a thought leader, catalyst for change and a man with many questions. He is the founder of the innovative training company Winning Mind Training, a company committed to help the men and women of law enforcement Embrace the Suck, focus on What’s Important Now and Dare to Be Great. Brian was a full time police officer for 25 years and has over 31 years of law enforcement training experience.
He is a recipient of the Law Officer Trainer of the Year award and a Lifetime Achievement Award for his commitment and contributions to Officer Safety. Brian has also served as a mental preparation coach for athletes from a variety of sports including two Olympic athletes.
Online bookings are not available for this event.