Date(s) - Tuesday, May 28, 2024 - Thursday, May 30, 2024
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
North Delta Public Safety Building
Excellence in Training: Simple, Proven Instructional Strategies to Enhance Real World Performance
Training is an investment in your people. Excellence in Training is designed to provide academy, in-service and field trainers, as well as frontline leaders, with the knowledge, skills and strategies to enhance the training they deliver in order to get the greatest return on that investment.
One of the challenges for today’s law enforcement trainers and leaders is creating a training environment that inspires learning and is most likely to result in the understanding, retention and recall of material covered in training, and the ability to apply what was taught once the participants are out in the field. Excellence in Training is designed to help you address those challenges with simple, easy to apply strategies that are grounded in and informed by the research in fields related to learning and human performance.
The focus of Excellence in Training is enhancing performance by delivering training in a manner that builds the competence and confidence of the participants. In order to accomplish this, training must be meaningful, challenging, rewarding, and engaging. Excellence in Training provides you with simple, proven, actionable strategies for accomplishing this.
The principles and concepts taught in this program can be used with officers at any level of skill and experience from recruits to veteran tactical operators. They can be incorporated incrementally into training in the academy, field training, and in-service training, generally at no cost to the agency. They can also be incorporated into shift brief training in as little 10 minutes a day.
This course is not about what to teach, rather it is about how to apply principles and concepts of effective teaching into your training to enhance the competence and confidence of the people you train. The program covers the following areas:
- The Power of Questions
- The Mind: Roles, Responsibilities and Programming
- Infinite Game Thinking in Training
- Understanding Human Error It’s Application to Training
- The Power of Words
- Performance Enhancement Imagery
- Harnessing the Inner Dialogue
- Conducting effective Debriefing
- Using Videos to Enhance Decision Making
- Applying the Concepts of Effortful Retrieval, Interleaving, Spaced Practice and Desirable Difficulties Into Training
What People Are Saying about Excellence in Training:
- “In 30 years as a police officer and trainer in defensive tactics this course has done more to positively influence those areas than any other course I have taken and it has done so in my personal life also.”
- “Exceptional training. Exceptional instructor. Deals with an area almost completely neglected or misunderstood in other training programs.”
- “Unique approaches to conducting training that are both practical and easily implemented. The ideas were some of the best I have heard. “
- “The most important course for law enforcement today, especially in the area of instructor development.”
- As a police officer, trainer, martial artist and student of human performance, this course was one of the most worthwhile and rewarding courses I have ever attended.”
- “Never before, have I taken training, which I have used to this extent. I took Excellence in Training as I was in the midst of developing a training program for new recruits. After listening to Brian, I revamped my entire program.“
- “Excellence in Training was a total eye opener. I have used the knowledge and techniques not only as a training coordinator, but also as an officer and even on my days off.”
- “This Course should be mandatory for every law enforcement trainer. “
- “Any agency that does not explore this training and its applications is, in my opinion, not moving forward and not making the most of their training.”
- “I highly recommend this class to agencies committed to providing quality training while improving performance of their law enforcement personnel.“
About the Facilitator – Brian Willis:
Brian operates Winning Mind Training Inc., a company dedicated to serving the heroic men and women of law enforcement through the Core Values of Focus on What’s Important Now, Stay Curious and Seek to Inspire Others. Brian was a full time police officer with the Calgary Police Service for 25 years and has over 34 years of training experience.
In addition to his work with current and future leaders in the areas of mindset, personal accountability, service, and the pursuit of excellence Brian provides professional development training for public safety trainers. Brian has also served as a mental preparation coach for athletes from a variety of sports including two Canadian Olympic athletes. Brian serves as the Deputy Executive Director for the International Law Enforcement Trainers and Educators Association.
Log in if you already have an account with us.