“Our attitude towards ourselves should be ”to be insatiable in learning” and towards others ”to be tireless in teaching.””
I admit that when I first saw this quote I was surprised by the source. Regardless of your thoughts on Mao Tse-Tung, there is great wisdom in the quote as it speaks to the heart of great trainers.
As a trainer it is not enough to love teaching. You also have to love learning. It is through learning, through being a student that you become a better teacher and trainer. The degree of transformation and growth you experience as a trainer is directly related to your commitment to learning.
Learning comes in many forms:
- You can attend conference like ILEETA.
- You can attend seminars.
- You can participate in online webinars.
- You can read books or listen to audio books.
- You can attend events such as WINx that will challenge you to think differently about how you train, lead and learn.
- You can listen to podcasts on a variety of topics.
- You can attend courses like Excellence in Training, which are designed to help you grow as a trainer.
- You can call up another trainer or set up a lunch meeting with a group of trainers from your region and ask questions, exchange ideas and learn.
- You can take someone you admire out to lunch and ask questions to learn about how they think, what they are reading, what they are listening to and how they have achieved success and significance.
- You can join a membership site like Excellence in Training Academy.
- You need to learn from your students at every course you teach.
Regardless of what you do to learn, the important thing is to be “insatiable in learning”. Every book you read, every course you take, every seminar you attend maintain an open mind and expect to learn something. Then challenge yourself to find a way to take that learning and apply it to your teaching. You will make yourself a better trainer and at the same time enhance the learning experience for your officers.
It is important that learning is part of your daily and weekly rituals. It is not enough to go to a conference or course once a year and think that is enough. Make learning part of who you are and what you do.
(Check out our Resources Page for a list of recommended books, podcasts and other resources.)
Winning Mind Training – Dedicated to helping good trainers become great trainers and great trainers to deliver awesome training.
Interested in hosting an Excellence in Training Presentation, Seminar or Course? Contact to me at email@example.com and we can work together to determine what will best suit your needs.