The law enforcement profession is a profession of heroes. The ancient Greeks defined a hero as ‘A Protector’. Someone who had the skills, fitness, knowledge, willingness and abilities to not only protect themselves, but to protect others. The hero was not always the biggest, the strongest or the fastest but, they were the most capable. The unsung heroes of law enforcement are you, the trainers. You have made the commitment to protect your brother and sister officers by providing great training that will give them the competence and confidence to perform their mission at the highest level. For you, training is likely far more than a job or a profession, it is a calling.
In order for you to be the “most capable” you need to be willing to continually invest in your personal and professional development.
We are already into the second week of January and it is time to think about, and start planning for the upcoming year. Last week I asked you two questions:
- What have you?
- What will you?
This week I will get into some specifics to help you with the second question.
If you have not already, then in 2017 you need to:
Read the following books:
- Grit by Angela Lee Duckworth
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
- Peak by Anders Ericsson
- Make it Stick by Peter Brown, Henry Roediger and Mark McDaniel
- Brave, Strong, True by Kate Hendrick Thomas
- Team of Teams by Stanley McCrystal
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Leadership Lessons From a UPS Drive by Ron Wallace
- Left of Bang by Patrick Van Horne and Jason Riley
Go to www.experiencewinx.com and watch the nine videos from WINx Chicago 2015. While you are there subscribe so you get notified when each of the nine videos from WINx Chicago 2016 is released as well and getting updated on breaking news regarding the 2017 events.
Attend the 2017 ILEETA Conference in St. Louis March 20 to 25.
Join the Excellence in Training Academy. This is a membership site created for you, the law enforcement trainer, to help you access quality professional development training every week, for less than a dollar a day and without having to get out of state / province travel approval or be away from home. There is new content added every week, which can be accessed from your computer, tablet or smart phone. There are also a number of Member Benefits including discounts on training as well as ILEETA memberships and membership renewals. Academy members are also eligible to win a full conference scholarship to the ILEETA conference (We are awarding 6 this year). Join now and use the code eitblog to get the first month free for either the Individual or Training Unit membership.
Subscribe to the CP Journal weekly blog.
Other things to consider doing in 2017:
- Attend or host an Excellence in Training Seminar and / or a Dare to Be Great leadership workshop.
- Watch at least one TED talk every month.
- Listen to one leadership or training focused podcast episode every week. There are lots of great podcasts out there to chose from. Feel free to look for specific episodes with people you want to hear from and learn more about.
- Attending a WINx event.
- Write an article for the ILEETA Journal or one of the online law enforcement publications.
- Mentor a new trainer.
- Gift a great book to people in your life who have invested in you and believed in you as a thank you.
Be the hero. Be the protector. Be the most capable. Make the time to invest in your personal and professional development. What you do it too important not to.
Thank you for your service and for your commitment to excellence in and through training.
Winning Mind Training – Dedicated to helping good trainers become great trainers and great trainers to deliver awesome training.
The Excellence in Training Academy – Where trainers come to grow. Committed to serving law enforcement trainers and leaders learn and grow.
Check out the free Introductory webinar and Featured Interview at www.excellenceintrainingacademy.com
Join the Excellence in Training Academy using the code eitblog to the the first month membership free.
Interested in hosting an Excellence in Training Seminar? Contact to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can work together to determine what will best suit your needs.