“You actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear the words that you speak.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
These words contain an important message for all of us, but are especially important for trainers when you are attending someone else’s class.
When you are student in a class, you need to be the best student in the class.
- You get to class early.
- You bring a pen and paper to take notes.
- You show up with a mindset of being an open and active learner.
- You turn your phone off during class and only check e-mails and phone messages on the breaks.
- You come back from the breaks on time, or early.
- You do not sit in the back row.
- You do not have side conversations during class.
- You pay attention during class.
- You participate during class. (Participate not dominate.)
- In a physical skills class you follow the direction of the instructor and do not go off doing your own thing.
These same rules apply if you are Faculty or another instructor sitting in the back of the room auditing a class. If you have to be on your phone or laptop for some reason then go sit in another room.
The other students in the room are watching you. They want to know if you walk the talk and abide by the rules you have in your classroom or if you have two sets of rules; one for when you are teaching, and one for when you are attending someone else’s class.
If you are Faculty at the back of the room and are on your phone or computer all day then you send the message, “You need to pay attention to this, but I am beyond that and I don’t have to pay attention because I have other, more important things to do.”
Your actions speak loudly so pay attention to the message you are sending.
Winning Mind Training – Dedicated to serving law enforcement trainers to help them better serve the heroic men and women of law enforcement.
Created for those who are driven by dissatisfaction. – The Excellence in Training Academy – Where trainers come to grow. Join the Community of trainers committed to the pursuit of excellence in and through training. Use the code eitblog to get the first month free.
Interested in hosting an Excellence in Training Presentation, Seminar or Course? Contact to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can work together to determine what will best suit your needs.